Magazine Trash and Recipes

     A guilty pleasure I've found myself sucked into in the past is magazine hoarding. I've held onto months, even years, of old magazines such as Woman's Day and Good Housekeeping, swearing one day I'll need them because I really want to make that really cool looking Halloween craft or yummy recipe featured on the front cover. Some day I'll need those cleaning tips and how to work out without a gym articles....and I won't say it never happened, because there was the rare occasion I'd whip one out and start flipping through it looking for something new to cook that weekend. However, once I did I usually found myself just being very disappointed. That pretty recipe was bland as fuck and now I'm left with a jar of tarragon sauce I'll never touch again, or that "quick and easy crafting project" ended up being a nightmare and waste of my time, money, and sanity, and in the trash that magazine goes - where it should have gone eight months ago.
     So as I've started purging my home from top to bottom (see my post The Purge for more info) I've implemented some rules on magazines:
1) Stop buying them. We have Google and Pinterest now; there's absolute no reason to spend money on a magazine that is 90% ads and has maybe one recipe in it that me or anyone in my house will actually eat.
2) Do not keep magazines you get in the mail more than one week. Yes, I get magazines in the mail. Why? Because three years ago I signed up for some thing that sent me free magazines for one year and for whatever reason they never stopped sending them so I still get them. It's weird. But anyway, if I don't read through them in that first week I toss it in the recycle bin, no wavering.
3) Pull the value from it and toss - once I DO read through it, I save the recipes or whatever I want and then toss the magazine. Two things I've learned from doing this: first, the people that write these are full of shit. I'm sorry but if you regularly have Dr. Oz as your "medical advice" column then fuck you very much. I don't need to hear the latest "detox trend" bullshit. Second, in three months of doing this I've saved two recipes. Two. Hence where rule number one came from; I refuse to ever spend money on another magazine. That being said I've posted below the two worthwhile recipes I saved and hope that you will enjoy them. I plan to regularly start posting recipes that I find other places as well.



Wild Rice and Carrot Salad 
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked and cooled wild rice or wild rice blend
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
3/4 cups golden raisins
1 small shallot finely minced
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
2 cups roughly chopped arugula, spinach, kale, or leafy greens
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1) In a large bowl, combine rice, carrots, walnuts, and golden raisins. Make the dressing in a separate bowl; whisk together shallot, vinegar, olive oil, and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle dressing over rice and carrot mixture, tossing until combined. (This part can be done up to one day ahead of time from meal.) Add in greens, tossing until evenly distributed.

Personal Tip:
Combine leftover salad with grilled chicken and roll up in a whole wheat tortilla for a delicious lunch wrap!

Source: Fry's Food Magazine



Easy Smoked Sausage Skillet 
Total Time: 20 Mins

Ingredients:
1 pkg smoked sausage sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lg red bell pepper thinly sliced
1 sm yellow onion thinly sliced
1 pkg frozen broccoli thawed
1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups cooked instant rice
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1) Heat olive oil and garlic in a skillet, stirring in smoked sausage slices and cook until browned. Add pepper, onion, broccoli, broth, and tomato sauce and simmer for ten minutes until vegetables are tender and the liquid is absorbed. In the meantime prepare rice according to package instructions. Stir cooked rice into skillet, sprinkle with cheese and stir.

Personal Tip:
For a healthier version of this recipe, I would swap out the sausage for cubed chicken breast and skip the cheese entirely.

Source: Good Housekeeping magazine featuring HillshireFarm.com/recipes




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Satan?

No Shame in Ramen Noodles for Dinner

A Good Ten Dollar Meal